Dating back to 1824, the ‘Bell Inn’ started as two small rooms joined by a bar. In the early 1920’s a local man, George Mumford, occupied the back part of the building and car park with his small business selling cans of petrol from a corrugated iron hut. This soon developed into a successful auto repair garage with a four-fuel pump forecourt and radio accumulator charging service. Each morning there would be a procession of people along the Middleton Road heading to Mumford’s Garage. Sadly, the garages closed after decades of trading but fortunately the pub was acquired by a large brewery and further extended. The Bell continues its development to best serve its dedicated and loyal patrons but the most recent improvements include a historical tribute to the Bells automotive beginnings. From the array of memorabilia and artefacts adorning the walls to the menu items attributed to great British car manufacturers.